The Bankfield Museum
The Bankfield mansion was the home of Edward Akroyd, who built and modified it from 1838 to 1868. After his death in 1887, it was sold and became a Museum and Branch Library. It now houses a Toy Gallery, a Textiles Gallery, a Calderdale Collects Gallery, and the Duke of Wellington's Regimental Collection. The collection features tableaux of soldiers from the 33rd, 76th, and Dukes. The first clothed mannequin visible is the figure of a Battalion company private of the 33rd Foot from the American War for Independence. We had donated the uniform to them in 1987. The other tableaux and displays show the different uniforms of the Regiment in various campaign situations up to Northern Ireland service and UN peacekeeping missions. A Bosnia exhibit is planned.
Sjt. Savage and Drummer Felix in the lobby of the Bankfield Museum.