UTR 2004 Notes and Comments

From:  "Jay Howlett"

Date:  Sat Jun 26, 2004  10:46 am

Subject:  UTR scattered observations from" Under The Wet Coat"


I saw the Army arrive yesterday about noon, about 12:15 it began to rain and by 3 pm an absolute downpour. Welcome to Williamsburg, none the less the participants seemed in good humour this morning. I was very impressed by the detachment of the 17th foot excellent clothing and young men, who could actually pull off being soldiers. The 40th lights were out in good numbers. The loyalist contingent also looked well. The camp was more spartan than many other events I have been too. The effort on the part of many to give the appearance of an Army on campaign paid off, the troops arrived dusty and unshaven and dispite the weather are sorted out today.

Not so impressive, the sheer numbers of obvious cross dressers and the barrage of over the top accents.

After a rainy start it looks like the weather is fixing to clear and against all odds at present is not all that hot.

I hope the rest of the weekend is more favorable. Once again I applaud those who travel so far to this event. I know of CA. IL. RI . FLA. as well as more local folks. All in all I'd give the event from a spectators point of view high marks. JMH

From:  Bruce McNeal

Date:  Wed Jun 30, 2004  10:18 am

Subject:  Under The Redcoat 2004 - AAR


UTR this year was the least hot in memory. Which was good because, being unable to drive onto the grass on Market Square, we had to carry everything into camp from the street. Having done UTR for a number of years, every participant I spoke to much preferred the new scenario. Rather than representing the entire British Army, we were there as the Provost Guard. I'm not certain if I enjoyed the weekend so much because of the scenario or because it was my first real event as an Officer, but I had a ball.

It poured rain Friday night and showers lingered on and off all day Saturday. Nothing so severe however, as to dampen the spirits of the participants.

Saturday I was scheduled to be the Officer of the Day's ADC for the third rotation. However, for some reason the individual assigned that duty on the first rotation didn't show and I filled in. I spent most of the day doing paper work. It may sound tedious but I had more fun with the individuals sent to me. One was a Solicitor representing a dozen or so individuals with claims against the Crown for cattle, flour, broken fences, etc. I offered to provide one detailed receipt for all the claims until such time as we could authenticate that the claims were from real people. In mid-paperwork it began to rain and we moved under an Officers fly. Moments later the fly began to leak right where the Solicitor had to sit. It was most entertaining to watch him debate between finishing his task and getting wetter. The paperwork was a colossal mess between the usual blots and the splashes of water. In the end he accepted the receipt I presented him with no complaint rather than come back.

Next came a member of the North Carolina Volunteers. He alleged he had been a Captain and lost his commission. (In fact I knew him well from prior years). He recognized me as being in the Provincial Brigade and wanted me to vouch for him. He wined incessantly. When I finally could get a word in I assured him that I could not vouch for him as I did not know him and that he needed to talk to the Major. He went in search of another patsy. He was so annoying that later I complemented him on his impression and told him that I was tempted to have him beaten just to shut him up.

Saturday afternoon there was a marvelous Officer's Mess with a fantastic eight course meal arranged by Ensign Prym of the 33rd. The ladies of the 33rd and a host of others prepared and served this feast that seemed to go on and on. The Naval Captain (whose name escapes me) provided some excellent French wine which he had recently captured. One thing the French do know how to do is make wine. It was very fine. Conversations at the mess spanned subjects ranging from ship construction, to the savages in the area. Unfortunately none of the ladies present asked the Naval Captain about the latest fashions in England although Ensign Prym did receive a packet containing the latest issues of Gentlemen's Magazine.

Also Saturday afternoon was the timed drill and firing competition amongst the units represented. An excellent performance was put on by all and a unit of the 64th won the prize. Later discussions fanned the rumors that the Hessians had fired one volley too many while the 64th had fired one too few. None of this was substantiated however.

Saturday evening it cooled down nicely. Our unit was split with some preparing a meal and camp and about 10 of us going for our annual dinner at the King's Arms Tavern. From the window during dinner I witnessed the tattoo in the streets as the Provost rounded up the staggering me[n] from the taverns. It was very fun to watch the guards try to keep the weaving men "in play". Of course those who were herded back to camp were free to return to the taverns later and they did so. Chownings was rocking as I dropped off to sleep. It was a rare two blanket night at UTR.

Sunday morning at the Officer's meeting we got a bad report on the success of the guards from the prior day. Vows were made that this would not happen again and the screws were tightened at the check points. Sunday morning I was the Provost Officers ADC and spent most of the shift making rounds of the guard posts with him. The guard on Duke of Glouster Street was doubled which seemed to greatly improve the results. When the second tour began we received the report that only one pistol made it through the checkpoint that morning. Unfortunately the second shift with only four men on the Duke of Glouster Street post fared no better than they had on Saturday. It became obvious to many of the Officers that four men on that post was not sufficient.

During the next couple of hours I sat in camp talking to the public as they came through, resting and saving my energies for the afternoon duty rotation. Ensign Prym happened by and asked if I would be attending the Officer's Mess later. I informed him that unfortunately I would be on Guard duty and would be unable to attend. Ensign Prym insisted that I immediately have a sampling of the food being prepared. It was marvelous. My only regret was that I dared not have some wine to complement it as I was due on duty shortly.

The afternoon guard rotation went quickly as again I made rounds of the guard posts. One low point was when a raggedy diseased individual found his way into our camp. I was called upon because he was harassing our ladies about buying some of his rags. When I finally found him, he was surrounded by a large crowd and was in the company of two Hessians both of whom seemed reluctant to approach him. He was exceedingly filthy with disgusting teeth, foul breath and oozing sores. He was carrying on in a loud voice about being mistreated. When I threatened to have him beaten into submission he quieted down and stood still long enough for the Hessians to take him in tow.

That same afternoon there was a bit of a set to between the Navy press gang and a group of our guards. Apparently the press gang was being a bit too enthusiastic about their work. The Provost Marshal solved the matter by ordering a tug of war between the Army and the Navy. Unfortunately I neither witnessed the match nor heard the outcome.

The weekend wrapped up with the usual formation and march out of the Army.

All-in-all a most gratifying event. My hearty complements to Colonial Willaimsburg, Mjr McLearen (Michael Grenier) and Sjt Major John Savage (Radford Polinsky). Well done all.

I remain, as always

Yr Hmbl & Obdnt Srvnt,

Ensn Bruce McNeal

1st Battn Md Loyalists

From:  "Malcolm Angus MacWilliam"

Date:  Thu Jul 1, 2004  8:05 am

Subject:  UTR, NCO perspective


Kate has asked for info on UTR, so this 1st Sjt. will give his perspective. It was GREAT!

Most of the 42nd Grens were at the Fife and Drum Building by 10 AM on Friday, registered and got ready for the march in along with the Guards and Dragoons. It was VERY hot at that time and marching in at noon with full pack and all gear reminds me of the good physical shape these men had to be in, day in and day out, in hot and cold weather, etc. to be able to carry all that "stuff" on their person. The bantering with public and the CW folks started as soon as we entered the town, the rebel flag was removed, the paying public soon began to understand what the weekend would be like, and we marched back out. Then the rains came.

At 3:30 PM we were still on hold as to a march in with wagons and tents, but with the downpour continuing and the lightning, it was cancelled. Many of us went into town for a bite to eat and a pint before vehicles were allowed in with all tents and gear at 5:45. The Town Major (and two of my lads and my daughter) did an excellent job in laying out the camp. Huzzah. By 8:30 that evening, I finally had my own tent made up and I could slip off to Chownings for a bit of singing and comradeship. It was great trading songs with the Navy that evening. AND, it did rain heavy that night, but we were dry and snug in the wedges.

Saturday morning was musket cleaning, watching the camp come to life, doing some individual patrolling of the town, since the 42nd was not on duty until the 2:00 watch. It was great fun as the public asked the question, "what are you here for?" and "aren't you ashamed to wear that red uniform?" and "why do you have kilts on?" and on and on......it is a great event to educate the public. At 2 PM, we assembled and marched off, hearing some horror stories of the smuggling of bayonets, muskets, pistols, secret papers, etc. Things were slipping through and although we thought we were doing our best, more items slipped past us that afternoon. The Sjt. of 1st Guards, Sjt. of the 5th, and I beefed up security on Gloucester St., but when carts of wood come through and I want to stop and have it unloaded and an officer gives the "wood man" a pass to get through lines and I'm ordered to let him pass.....well, I knew there were items getting past me, right under my nose!!

Another evening at Chownings, singing and frivolity, and the next day's (Sunday's) guard duty was tightened like a noose. Thanks to Capt. Callaham for his explicit orders on searching, frisking, etc. As I told Sjt. Major Savage, I took the previous day's "dressing down" personally, and I posted myself at Gloucester St., with all searches, pass approvals, etc. going through me. I understood later that only one pistol got past us all morning. Also, I understood later that we might have caught the spy (I personally saw the papers depicting the French Navy, etc and sent her and her comrades to the guardhouse). Not sure what happened after that with that issue. Sunday morning was GREAT fun. In fact, the last hour of guard duty before noon, I saw a great decrease in 18th century civilian activity coming through our barricade. Maybe they needed a rest from my "frisks" and bullying!!??

The afternoon we spent in a bit of drill to get ready for the competition and I am proud to say that the 42nd Gren Lads (along with one of the 42nd hats) won the Sunday afternoon competition!! The redware pitcher is a beauty. We marched out Sunday afternoon with our colours flying, to the music of fife and drum, with our heads held proudly....can't wait until next year. I want to personally thank the CW staff, the 18th century civilians (Duncan, Isaac, Ryan, Mullins, Todd Dickinson, and all those whom I did not catch the names of)......you folks are great!! I wish we could do this several times a year. Thanks to Major Grenier, Sjt. Major Savage, Ensign Prym, the Coldstream Guards and the 5th (whom we had duties with), and my kinsman Pete.

Huzzah to all!! Huzzah to Colonial Wmsburg.!!

Your servant,

1st Sjt. Malcolm MacWilliam, 42nd RHR, Grenadier Company

From:  "Jay Callaham"

Date:  Thu Jul 1, 2004  2:44 pm

Subject:  From an officer - was UTR, NCO perspective

----- Original Message -----

From: "Malcolm Angus MacWilliam"

Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 11:05 AM

Subject: [Revlist] UTR, NCO perspective

> Liste......

> Kate has asked for info on UTR, so this 1st Sjt. will give his

> perspective. It was GREAT!

Ensign McNiel of the MD Loyalists and Sjt MacWilliam have hit the highlights. We had a great time, as always, at the UTR event.

Friday's LIBERATION of the town from the vile hands of the evil minions of the tyrannical and usurping Congress was, as always, a lot of fun to do. I'm not sure where the "Tarleton" character actor got most of his "history" but it was fun to listen to all the comments and to return as good as we got!

The NC Volunteers (a.k.a. "King's Own Patriots") did a fine job as the opposing forces. They had some who were true King's men and others who were rebels to the core. The poxy gap-toothed "rag-man" was an especially good character (I never even recognized him until Saturday evening at Chowning's when he coughed on me again!!).

BTW - Sjt. MacWilliam, that pair of ladies were NOT spies. They were actually Hessian women indulging a couple of their young daughters who "wanted to get arrested" and the only way they could figure to get us to actually lock up the kids was to make them appear to be couriers. The naval charts were bogus, so once we found that these were not really "in play" we released them! I don't think we ever caught the real spy (though we DID capture one of the deserters - always a difficult thing).

That's the biggest problem with UTR. While trying to "play the game" we are constantly distracted by Colonial Williamsburg employees and other "walk - ons" who simply want to have some fun and get into the act and screw around with us. Not only does that clog up the works and distract us from the real "enemy," it makes for a lot of time-consuming paperwork. - - - - - - - - - Just like frivolous lawsuits, minor silly offenses, etc that clog up the court system in the real world!! You've got to deal with it. Some things that went on there would have gotten people shot or bayoneted in the real world and we had to deal with them more gently. That's not so different from what our fellows are facing today with an enemy that can hide in the population, rules of engagement that restrict our actions while going up against an enemy who knows no rules, etc. We portrayed a microcosm of that reality of occupying forces that has never changed.

There were a lot of fun "vignettes" tossed into the mix. After the troops got paid Saturday, we had a "disturbance" on the street in front of Chownings when some soldiers and sailors mixed it a bit (I was mortified at the participation of some of my Guardsmen in that brawl - - not for brawling, but because there were still some sailors left standing when the Duty Guard detail broke it up!!) This dispute was settled by a tug of war involving many of the visiting kids. Some Scotsmen joined in with the Navy against the Army team but the Army won handily - two out of three. Historically accurate?? - - Naaah! But it was a fun way to get the crowd involved and we had a lot of good conversations with visitors afterwards about all sorts of things.

I'll echo Ens. McNiel's comments about the FABULOUS meals that were provided by the women of the 33d Reg't. One of the gals is the daughter of a fellow who grows historic and nearly extinct herbs and such, so we were treated to seasonings of the era that we normally don't encounter in everyday fare. "Ensign Prym" said that they had brought a suitcase full of unusual and rare herbs and such with them from California (wonder how THAT went through the detectors!) The food was all excellent and well prepared and presented. Dr. Atkins wouldn't approve - but who cares - he's dead! It was great. Too bad more of us didn't know how to eat European style rather than with this silly American way of switching the fork from the left to right hand!! The meals were part of the show as well and the public was always pretty interested.

The rain did slow some stuff down Friday, but not by much. We still provided security from the Guardhouse when there were breaks and some troops did arrive later in the day, so it worked out that most of the Friday activities did happen, though not necessarily on time. It was fun.

Sjt MacWilliam was a bit modest in his account of Sunday's activities. On each day they held a competition among the units that were not on Guard duty involving a detachment of troops simulating "to arms" by picking up grounded firelocks, forming up, marching to a point and firing five volleys - the first using the "by the numbers" commands (without actually drawing the ramrods) and the rest rapid fire. This was a timed contest. The first day's competition was handily won by a detachment of the 64th. Sunday's competition had the 64th again as a demonstration unit but the only competitors were the Grenadiers of the 42d vs my detachment of the Guards. Congratulations to the 42d on a well-earned victory! They won a really nice earthenware pitcher. My lads were good but a few seconds slower.

If you've not been through the DeWitt Wallace Gallery in Williamsburg lately, you should go. There is some wonderful stuff on display. Of special interest to many on this liste is the outstanding firearms display they have with a lot of great exploded views of firelocks, loading process, etc. Wonderful stuff. I could have spent a day in their map rooms.



Cm Gds

4th Coy, Bde of Guards

From:  "barb.z@j..."

Date:  Fri Jul 2, 2004  2:48 am

Subject:  Re: [Revlist] UTR, NCO perspective

Esteemed List,

I can echo the opinions already shared that UTR was once again a very fine event - my favorite of the year. I can also attest to the thoroughness of the men in kilts. Innocent thing that I am , I came walking into town with my lady mistress Sunday morning and we were immediately seized and asked for the passes that we did not possess. The lady produced continental scrip in an attempt to bribe the king's man. A true and honest lad, he did not shirk from his duty. We were taken to the guardhouse at bayonet point and searched including pockets, hats and baskets. God bless these dear men who decided it was a bad idea to search our shoes! Instead of being locked up, we were escorted away from DOG street. The poor guards probably thought they wouldn't be able to bear the incessant raving of my lady. Wouldn't ya know, it'd be the lady's maid to save the day!

Thanks to all who participated in making it another memorable weekend!

Barbara Ziman (aka Abigail

(from the July 2004 issue of THE GORGET, the British Brigade newsletter)

Colonial Williamsburg's Annual "Under the Redcoat."

The 42nd Major's Company attended Colonial Williamsburg's annual "Under the Redcoat" event on 25th-27th June. Six members appeared as uniformed Highland soldiers:

Brian Sherwood (Serjeant)

Jan Spoor (Corporal)

Dennis Crawford

Nick Borek

Martin Tew

Gerry Orvis

Chris Spoor ably served as head of the kitchen staff, assisted by Lynne Tew and Susan Krakower.

Joe Davis appeared as an officer on the Town Major's staff, accompanied by Marjorie Crain.

On Friday, Lord Cornwallis's army occupied the town and declared martial law. All were present by Saturday morning. The weather was pretty nasty on Friday night, with heavy storms, but nobody reported being flooded out of their tents. On Saturday, it rained lightly and occasionally, but cleared up later in the day. Sunday was glorious, with temperatures in the low 80's and low humidity. The camp was placed on the side of Market Square nearest Chowning's Tavern, which all found very convenient.

On Saturday and Sunday the Provost Battalion followed the same general routine:

- Formations at the beginning and end of each day.

- Guard duty for 2.5 hrs each day, with patrols going throughout the historic area. We were confronted with trying to catch a spy (he was reportedly caught on Sunday), a deserter, and various smugglers and subversives. We faced some excellently got-up role players and had some fun. The Royal Navy (HMS Richmond) had a press-gang working the Duke of Gloucester Street, making for some interesting incidents.

- On Saturday, the women of the Army and civilians gave demonstrations of various occupations. - Our own Molly Forbes operated her handwash laundry business and had sufficient customers (at 1d per shirt) to fill three lines with drying linen.

- Also on Saturday, a pay parade was held - we were all to get paid $10 in hard coin, but the coin ran out and some of us received CW script. No problem, it spent just as well in Historic Area mercantiles.

- Each day, those Provost Battalion units not on afternoon guard duty participated in a timed drill competition consisting of falling in, marching and maneuvering into a pre-designated position, then firing four volleys. Since the Major's Company did not have the required eight soldiers for the competition, we opted out of it. Dennis Crawford volunteered to participate with the 42nd Grenadiers, which fired its volleys in 1 min 16 seconds, with an overall time of 2:53, to win Sunday's competition.

- There were also demonstrations by mounted troops (17th Light Dragoons) and the Royal Artillery (firing a three-pounder). An Army vs. Navy tug-o-war was held, with modern spectators encouraged to participate. During the parades, demonstrations, and competitions, half of Market Square was roped off and the tourists did not crowd in upon the military participants, as had been a problem in previous years.

- At the final Sunday parade, the Provost Battalion marched out of town, the closing gun fired and the packing up began. All agreed that it was a very successful event.

- The schedule was sufficiently relaxed that participants had time to wander the Historic Area and do a bit of shopping and looking about.

- Units attending included the Coldstream Guards, the 5th Foot, 33rd Foot, 40th Foot, 42nd Grenadiers, 64th Foot (a mixed bag of lights, grenadiers and hatmen), Von Donop's, Royal Artillery (one gun detachment), Royal Navy (HMS Richmond) and a composite company. The latter was for reenactors whose units were not attending but had been invited to this event within the past four years.

- As usual, there was a great jollification in the back yard of Chowning's Tavern on Saturday night. The "riotous behavior" on the part of the troops, the women of the Army and a few officers (!) was mentioned in orders on Sunday morning, to the amusement of all.

Gerry Orvis Despatches Editor

What follow are notes and comments from the North Carolina Volunteers, which give us some perspective on their uncannily effective performance as the Hillsborough District Mlitia.

(from Chris Hughes)

Smuggling totals for Sunday were as follows: I don't believe that anything else was smuggled through after our last meeting Sunday afternoon, but total for the day was 10 pistols and 1 sword. Although no contraband (at least that carried by our group) was discovered Saturday (with the exception being the rather large cache in the safe house), 2 pistols were discovered during the last guard shift on Sunday. It's my understanding from talking with one of the highland grenadiers on Sunday, that quite a bit of contraband was recovered from would-be smugglers; the 2 pistols on Sunday were the only contraband recovered from us -- the rest must have been CW employees or walk-ons. All of our "smuggling" was accomplished through the DoG barricade with the exception of the lone grenade which passed through the sentries at the other barricade and camp guards.

Both deserters got through the DoG barricade twice Sunday, however, after being apprehended for his involvement in the assault on your surgeon, deserter "Josiah Collins" was brilliantly identified as the deserter in the waning moments (as the clock was ticking down). I think that whoever was posted at the guard house should be highly complimented for their ability to nab him. From my understanding, the guards got him to play cards with them and offered him a drink. Mr. "Collins", being fond of both card playing and heavy drink, graciously accepted both. Someone also noticed the "64th" white metal button that was on his breeches. I apologize for such shoddy descriptions of the two deserters, and think that whoever tagged the one should be admirably commended -- my descriptions really didn't give a great chance for success. Incidentally, he is the same individual that Jay Callaham suspected and questioned late on Saturday.

Nigel "Fox", Norm Fuss, was indeed the spy. The map was drawn over one of the documents in his folio with 18th-C invisible ink (milk). Although extremely difficult to discover, the document had a slight discoloration in the upper left (distinguishing it from all the others) and the map could be slightly discerned when said document was looked at from an angle (especially in sun light). Norm has sent me a detailed and humorous description of his exploits with accompanying photos of the portfolio and map. Let me know if you'd like me to forward them to you.

The cards, which evidently caused great interest and suspicion, were simply intended to confuse and distract from any real subterfuge and spy activity. Actually, most of our people didn't even know why they were given cards (I know I didn't have a clue and simply left mine in my right pocket).

I've received a number of detailed AAR's from members describing the various exploits of our crew. If you'd like, I can send you the highlights.

To: Headquarters, Hillsboro District Militia - Any and All Other Parties with a "Need to Know"

From:    Headquarters, KOP Intelligence Corps - Department of Spies and Related Activities

Date:    28 June 2004

Subject:   After Action Report: UTR - Williamsburg, 26 & 27 June 2004


At 0805 hours, Saturday 26 June 2004 the "Designated Master Spy" (hereinafter referred to as the DMS) arrived on site with the incriminating hand drawn map of the City of Williamsburg, containing military information in his possession.  From that time until the departure of the King's Troops at approximately 1730 hours Sunday, 27 June, 2004, said DMS passed through the checkpoints established by the occupying force for the purpose of discovering and apprehending spies, smugglers, saboteurs and the like at least 30 times (he lost count at 19 times) without being discovered.  His person and belongings were examined on nine separate occasions, at least once quite thoroughly when his belongings were confiscated and examined by a committee of officers for at least 20 minutes.  He and the incriminating map remained undiscovered for the entire weekend even though the incriminating map was handled and inspected by representatives of the King's forces on at least five occasions and the papers among which it was concealed were examined on nine occasions.

For most of the weekend the DMS was either in the British Camp conducting espionage while burdening the King's Forces with voluminous administrative work, or at the Guardhouse spreading confusion, doubt, disinformation and obfuscation under the guise of being helpful.  On several occasions the DMS was able to add critical military information to the map, undetected.

At approximately 1600 hours on Saturday 26 June, one of the DMS's agents was successful in purloining a letter to O. DeLancey from the tent of the Town Major.  A map having Yorktown designated in red that was alleged to be in the Town Major's tend was not discovered.  On Sunday 27 June at approximately 1045 hours the letter was passed by an agent to the DMS, and subsequently by the DMS to another agent for delivery to friendly forces.  This exchange took place at the Guardhouse in the very midst of an estimated dozen officers and men of the guard, many of whom were close enough to the persons taking part in the exchange to have reached out with almost no effort and touched any of them at any time during the exchange.  There was nothing to indicate that the occupying forces even realized that an exchange had taken place.

During the weekend the DMS successfully acquired three (3) separate Official Passes without ever taking a loyalty oath to the King.  He was never asked by any member of the occupying forces, including the officers who issued him the passes, to do so.

In general the security of the King's Forces appeared to be rudimentary and unsophisticated.  It was, in the opinion of the DMS, quite lax on Saturday.  On Sunday, apparently in response to a report that intelligence gathering, smuggling and sabotage activities were being carried on virtually undetected under their very noses, the King's troops were noticeably more vigilant.  Passes were checked more frequently, roving patrols were dispatched into the City to randomly check persons away from the established check points, and examinations were more thorough.  But even at the heightened state of alertness that prevailed on Sunday, it was not difficult for the DMS and his agents to accomplish their work.


In preparation for the weekend, the DMS obtained a number of legal forms from the Williamsburg Print Shop and filled in approximately a dozen of them to represent document that he would have in his possession as part of his assumed role as an attorney.  On the face of one of these documents he drew a map of the City of Williamsburg in milk.  On drying, the writing became almost invisible, being barely discernible if the document were to be held up to a strong, glancing light so that the writing would reflect the light more than the paper.  He then deposited a master underlay map and some milk in one of several safe houses in the City.

As part of the overall plan, the DMS determined to ingratiate himself with the Occupying Forces as early and as deeply as possible.

In furtherance of this objective, shortly after the mounting of the first guard rotation at approximately 0930, Saturday, 26 June, the DMS walked unchallenged into the camp of the Occupying Force in the guise of an attorney (an honor to which he is in no way entitled either by education, training, license or experience).  To those few who (politely) asked, he explained that he was in search of the Town Major to transact official business with the Army.  He was eventually presented to the Town Major, after having walked the camp from end to end noting the regiments present, the number and kind of tents in the camp and other militarily significant information.

When presented to the Town Major he told that officer that he was an attorney representing a number of well disposed citizens of the countryside from whom the Army had purchased various items, for the value of which receipts had been issued, who had given him powers of attorney to collect the debts owed them.  The DMS was prepared with a (forged) document indicating that he had taken an Oath of Allegiance to the King in North Carolina, and a (forged) letter of recommendation from a number of (fictitious) leading citizens of the City of Williamsburg, but the Town Major took him at this word and instructed his Aid de Camp to assist the DMS.  For the next hour and more, the Aid de Camp laboriously copied out the details of a dozen (fictitious) receipts for goods onto a receipt for the receipts which he took to be verified and validated for payment.  All the while the DMS was closely observing the activities and troops in the camp.  [In an informal conversation late on Sunday, the Aid de Camp confided to the DMS that he would be "highly embarrassed" if it turned out that he had had the "Spy" before him all that time without even suspecting what was going on.]

At the conclusion of this session the DMS asked if he might be given a pass that would allow him to pass checkpoints unhindered as he needed to visit a number of other potential clients to get from them powers of attorney so that he could handle their claims.  The Town Major was called over.  He readily agreed to issue such a pass and ordered his Aid de Camp who to do so, which was done on the spot.  No one asked him to take the Loyalty Oath or inquired whether he had taken such an oath, they simply issued the pass.

At the first checkpoint encountered by the DMS after this, he presented the informal pass issued by the Town Major.  It caused some confusion.  The DMS was politely escorted to the Guardhouse where, after explaining his case and presenting the informal pass from the Town Major, he was readily issued a pass in the proper form with no further questioning.  Here, as in the camp, no one asked him to take the Loyalty Oath or inquired whether he had taken such an oath, they simply issued the pass.

The DMS then retired to one of the several "safe houses" in the City where he added to his map the information on the size and composition of the occupying force that he had gathered during his sojourn in the British Camp.

For the rest of Saturday, the DMS visited the Guardhouse frequently on the pretext of seeking work representing persons who had been detained.  He obtained several such assignments.  [In one notable instance involving a certain John Muller he was successful in so confounding the officers of the Occupying Force that they felt compelled to release him.  Several times later on Saturday and on Sunday Mr. Muller reported that members of the Public were overheard to say as he walked down the street "That's the guy they arrested!  His lawyer got him off!"]

At approximately 1600 hours on Saturday one of the DMS's agents successfully broke into the tent of the Town Major, discovered a letter addressed to O. Delancy and successfully escaped without being detected.

The letter was delivered to the DMS on Sunday Morning at which time a plan was contrived to transfer the letter from one agent to another through the hands of the DMS at the Guardhouse in the presence of soldiers of the Occupying Force [as specified under the rules of engagement].  Three similar covered canteens were procured.  The letter was sewn between the canteen and the woolen cover of one of them.  The canteens were then distributed to three of the DMS's agents with instructions to meet at the Guardhouse at approximately 1030 hours.

The DMS then retired to one of the safe housed where he added the information contained in the letter to his map.

As it happened the DMS and one of the agents were at the Guardhouse at the appointed hour, having been detained by the guards, who were obviously at a higher state of alertness than they had been on the previous day.  While waiting in line to be heard, the DMS was given one of the decoy canteens by one of the agents.  Under the guise of consulting with one of the agents as his attorney, the DMS was able to take possession of the canteen containing the letter, exchanging it for the first decoy canteen.  Shortly thereafter he was able to exchange that canteen for another decoy with the agent delegated to take the letter out of town.  [Hope you all follow that.]  Mission accomplished!

At this time, also, the DMS requested a replacement pass, alleging that his original pass had either not been returned by one of the checkpoint guards, lost or stolen from him.  The Commanding Officer at the Guardhouse readily complied.  Again, no one asked him to take the Loyalty Oath or inquired whether he had taken such an oath, they simply issued the pass.  At about 1400 hours the DMS successfully acquired a third pass under almost identical conditions.

The first time that the DMS had the voluminous papers in his portfolio examined in any way was by an Officer of Marines who headed a patrol in the middle of the city.  He cursorily flipped through the papers in the portfolio, but gave up his examination two pages short of the paper on which the map was drawn.  This was the only time that the papers in the portfolio were examined on Saturday.

On Sunday, security was noticeably tighter.  The DMS was required to open his portfolio for inspection several times.  However, presumably owing to the volume of paper in the portfolio, in only about half of these cases was each page handled by the examining party.  In no case, at least so far as is known, were the blank printed legal forms in the portfolio, which were tied together as a bundle with string, ever examined.

In what proved to be the Occupying Force's nearest attempt to discover the DMS, he was arrested on a spurious charge of having in his possession a paper on which were written troop strengths.  On this pretext his possessions were confiscated and presumably examined in great detail during the half hour or so during which he was incarcerated.  At the end of that time the DMS was released with the apologies of the Officer of the Guard and the explanation that it had been determined that the incriminating paper had been "planted."

The DMS had in his possession for the entire weekend three sealed letters.  It was not until the afternoon of Sunday that anyone in the occupying force bothered to even look at the letters other than to notice them in passing.  They were eventually unsealed and read.  One had a diagram of a garden plot that for some time occupied the attention of the Officers of the Guard in trying to make it out to be "the map."  It was only after reading the entire three page letter that they were forced to admit that it was an innocent communication from one lady to another.

It is interesting to note that in all the searches conducted, the soldiers and officers focused their attention on the DMS's left hand coat and waistcoat pockets.  Not once did any of the even offer to inspect what might have been in his left hand breeches pocket.


From: Dale Loberger

Date: Fri Jul 2, 2004 9:11:47 AM US/Eastern

Subject: RE: [KingsOwnPatriots] Fwd: UTR Reports

Chris, I wouldn't mind elaborating on my trip through the camp as a provincial officer and later capture in the "safe house."

After dressing up as an RP officer (with exception of the epilate), I wrapped two muskets (one was a 1st model Bess) in a canvas to appear as a tent, I carried it from our "safe house" at the Raleigh Bakery through the back street of the camp (opposite DoG) in order to pick up the bag of musket balls in the Refugee camp.  I was unchallenged the entire way and kept the "tent" covering my shoulder where the epilate should have been.  I then proceeded back through the British regular camp where I was made out by one of the camp followers who attempted to rouse an officer.  I quickly approached the sentry point on DoG street and noticed the guard busy with the Constable and passed without delay through the checkpoint.  I was briefly detained a few steps away by a real officer but as I was obviously struggling with my load, I was allowed to pass.

Once clearing the street I could no longer carry both muskets and the 25 pounds of lead, so I made a quick drop of the balls and removed my coat, sash, and sword.  I delivered the muskets back to the safe house where our spy was cooling off.  I briefed him on my exploits and we explained to the visitors nearby what we were doing and were overheard by yet another camp follower who kept glancing at me.  I left the bakery by the front door with "Mr. Fox" and we were set upon by the ever present Naval patrol.  I was cleared (and complimented on the "upgrade of my small clothes") and as our spy was given more attention so I quickly left his company.

I made my way back to get the stash of musket balls and returned to the safe house by the back path and entered the bakery by its rear door.  Once the door closed behind me I was greeted by 5 or 6 Navy men marveling over the quantity of contraband we had stockpiled there.  They greeted me welcome and allowed me to catch my breath while they politely wrote a confession for me to sign.  I was placed in our own irons and paraded back to the Guard house where I was presented to an acting Captian who obviously had no idea what to do with the prize that suddenly fell into his grasp, so he joked with some of the public about finding a wife in their midst for one of his officers. Embarrassed, both my captures and I agreed that it would be best to take me away to a more serious deliberation.  We hoped to find court in session and expedite a trial, but lacking that we disturbed the officer's meal instead. Jay Callaham was exquisite in his handling of my situation and brought me back to guard house to be held for a proper trial.

Once in the makeshift gaol, I sat in plain view of two guards who never noticed me slip from my irons and simply place my wrists over the bar to give a simple appearance of remaining confined.  With two other prisoners we planned a daring attempt on the guard house by taking a guard prisoner and relive his weapon.  Just as we were about to spring the trap, some additional guards entered the room and unwittingly foiled the plot.  Shortly thereafter the game was called at 1630.

Interestingly, I used my same real name the following day and even though a written confession lay inside the guard's desk signed in my own hand, I was never thought of again as the captured saboteur of the previous afternoon. But that naval patrol remained a persistent nuisance to my further exploits.

What a great time!!!  Dale